Curriculum Intent - Music
At Darley Dale Primary school, we believe that music is a powerful form of communication that can influence the way children think, feel and act. Through the award-winning music scheme ‘Charanga’ we aim to deliver fun, relevant and inspiring music sessions which focus on listening and appraising; creating and exploring; and singing, playing instruments and performing. The vision behind our curriculum is to broaden children’s horizons through music they may not have experienced before, ultimately helping to develop an acceptance, respect and understanding for the role that music can play. Alongside this, we also work closely with music specialists from ‘The Music Partnership’, providing opportunities for children to sing; learn an instrument; and perform in a wide range of venues. We hope that these experiences will help each individual to grow in confidence, perseverance and spark their creativity!
Characteristics of a Musician
- A rapidly widening repertoire which they use to create original, imaginative, fluent and distinctive composing and performance work.
- A musical understanding underpinned by high levels of aural perception, internalisation and knowledge of music, including high or rapidly developing levels of
- Very good awareness and appreciation of different musical traditions and genres.
- An excellent understanding of how musical provenance - the historical, social and cultural origins of music - contributes to the diversity of musical styles.
- The ability to give precise written and verbal explanations, using musical terminology effectively, accurately and appropriately.
- A passion for and commitment to a diverse range of musical activities.