Art and Design
Curriculum Intent - Art and Design
At Darley Dale Primary School, we believe that art and design is an integral part of education. It provides children with the opportunity to share and express their individual creativity. Moreover, it enables them to develop a natural sense of curiosity and wonder which strongly links to our school vision. Art and design should be taught in a way that ensures a progression of skills, and follows a sequence to build on previous learning. We want children to understand that art is a process that can be broken down into smaller steps and is accessible to all. To achieve this, we take inspiration from artists, architects and designers, learning more about them and their style, which we then apply to our own pieces of work. At Darley Dale Primary School, we believe that high expectations in art and design can introduce children to a wide range of exciting possibilities and aspirations for their future.
Characteristics of an Artist
- The ability to use visual language skilfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations,
convey insights and accentuate their individuality.
- The ability to communicate fluently in visual and tactile form.
- The ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination.
- The ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or
- An impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craftmakers and designers.
- The ability to think and act like creative practitioners by using their knowledge and understanding to inform, inspire and interpret ideas, observations and feelings.
- Independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity.
- The ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skilfully and inventively to realise intentions and capitalise on the unexpected.
- The ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others.
- A passion for and a commitment to the subject.